Tuesday 20 October 2009

Questionaire Results

Graphs:
For my Questionaire I wanted a fair survey so I asked 10 boys and girls aged between 13 - 17 (my target audience) what they thought about newspapers and papers specificially aimed towards them.











When asked if they buy any newspapers none of the boys said that they brought a newspaper more than once a week, one boy said he brought a newspaper at least once a week, 2 boys said that they brought a paper every fourtnight and another two said hardly ever. The majority of the boys (five of them) said they never buy a newspaper. In contrast one girl said she brought a newspaper more than once a week with another girl saying that she brought a newspaper at least once a week. Three girls said that they brought a paper at least every forthight, four said hardly ever and one said never. My resuls show me that girls are more likely to buy newspapers than boys.
























The next question I asked was how often they read a newspaper. Two boys said that they read a newspaper daily; with three saying weekly, one fortnightly and four said never. None of the boys said that they read a newspaper monthly. Comparing this with the girls with four saying that they read a newspaper daily, three said weeklt, two said fourtnightlyand one said they read a newspaper never. Again like the boys none of the girls said they read a paper monthly. This shows me that girls read newspapers more regularly than boys.
















The next question was what is the most important part of a newspaper. The majority of the boys (7 out of 10) said the most important part of a newspaper was the sport columns. Two of the boys said entertainment and one boy said other. In comparison one girl said world news was the most important part, five said entertainment, 2 said horoscopes, none said sport, one said advice columns and one other girl said other. The results show that the girls and the boys focus on different stories; with different genres more appealing to different genders.













I also asked how much they would spend on a newspaper. Half the boys said that they woul not spend anything on a newspaper. Three boy's said 1- 20p; two boys said 21 - 50p. None of the boys said they would spend more than 51p. Whereas three of the girls said they would spend nothing, half of them said they would spend 1-20p, 2 said 21-50p and none of the girls (the same as the boys) said they would spend more than 51p.






























Lastly I asked would you buy a newspaper for teenagers. Half the girls said yes whereas only two of the boys said yes. Three of the girls said maybe compared to four boys and two girls said they wouldn't compared to four boys. This shows that the girls are willing to spend more on a local newspaper compared to boys.


















Results and Comparisons:
After looking at my results I have decided that it is beneficial for me to do a newspaper aimed at teenagers because it is something that hasn't been done before. Many of the teenagers that I asked seemed to like the idea; although some said that they wouldn't buy it due to the fact that they can use the internet. Although this is true, I think that if the stories are intresting enough and directly involve the reader then they may decide otherwise.
After looking at the results it is clear that girls are more likely to buy my newspaper than boys. If girls are my majority audience then I could look into stories that appeal more to them than what they do boys; for example maybe have stories on fashion. It is also clear that girls are willing to spend more than boys. Originally I thought that I would give away my newspaper for free but as it is local and looking at different local newspapers I have decided to price it at 15p. I did this because lots of local newspapers sell there papers and by doing the same so I am making my newspaper similar to others in the market.
The genres which both genders like is entertainment. Many boys focused on sport with the girls having a more varied variety of choices including horoscopes and advive columns. As I am aiming my newspaper at both I need to incoporate stories for both audiences.

The Results & My Newspaper:
In response to the survey I have found out some things that I will incorporate in my newspaper.

  • It will be priced at 15p
  • It will be in a weekly format
  • My newpaper will have many stories which directly affect teenagers (drugs, alcohol and general school life e.t.c.)
  • It will look different to tabloid and local papers. Therefore making it new and edgy for my target audience. I will use bright colours with lots of pictures to try to capture my audiences attention.

1 comment:

  1. Do you feel you have really identified a need for a new newspaper in your local area?

    ReplyDelete